If you have a question or comment, please e-mail me at marinscreations@yahoo.com

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Dutch Oven Swiss Steak


I got this recipe from Shar's but I found it to be VERY similar to the Lion House recipe. My husband loves this dish and it makes the house smell so good! It's fairly simple, I even buy the pre-cut meat to make it even easier. Great comfort food for a cold day.

Ingredients:
4 lbs. beef round, cut about 1/2" thick
3/4 cup flour, divided
4-6 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 cups beef broth
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 15oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, grated

Directions:
1. Cut meat into 1" strips.
2. Dredge meat with 1/2 cup flour.
3. Melt butter in a large pot. Brown the dredged meat.
4. Stir in remaining flour and all seasonings. Slowly blend in beef broth.
5. Add vegetables and cook until slightly thickened.
6. Pour mixture into a dutch oven or if you don't have one, a roasting pan or casserole dish with lid will work.
7. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 3 1/2-4 hours.
8. Remove and top with mozzarella cheese.

You can serve this over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice as well. Whatever your family likes.

I cut this recipe in 1/2 for my family of 4 and it made plenty.