If you have a question or comment, please e-mail me at marinscreations@yahoo.com

Friday, September 11, 2009

Skillet Chicken Pitas

Believe it or not this is my first time making pitas! It never really crossed my mind to make them until I saw this yummy recipe in a magazine a while ago. My husband really enjoyed them and asked why I don't make them more often. I guess I will now! Perfect summer meal that can be made ahead of time.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup cilantro
1/4 cup Asian sweet chili sauce (I got mine at Sprout's)
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" strips/chunks
1 large red bell pepper, sliced into bite size strips

2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. lime juice

8 pita rounds
8 leaves of lettuce

Directions:
1. In a ziploc bag combine 1/3 cup cilantro, chili sauce, 2 Tbsp. lime juice, garlic, oil, and salt. Add Chicken, seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken mixture and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate 1-8 hours.
3. For dressing, combine mayo, 1/2 cup cilantro, and 2 Tbsp. lime juice.

To serve, top each pita with a leaf of lettuce, spoon chicken mixture over half, and drizzle with dressing.