3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening (I use the butter flavored)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour milk (add 1/2 teaspoon vinegar to sour it)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Sift and measure flour; sift with baking soda and salt.
2. Cream butter and shortening. Add sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and beat well.
4. Add flour mixture alternately with sour milk. Mix well after each addition.
5. Add extracts.
6. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
7. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured board/counter. Cut out desired shapes using cookie cutters.
8. Bake on a well greased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
9. Cool cookies completely before frosting.
(another one of my MIL's yummy recipes)
4 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla