If you have a question or comment, please e-mail me at marinscreations@yahoo.com

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Meatball Calzones

I found this pizza dough recipe on Lindsay's blog Our Family Treat a month or so ago and I love it! I have made both pizzas and calzones with it and it always turns out great. It's super simple to throw together and it only has to rise for 20 minutes so it's a quick meal to make. I usually divide the dough into four equal parts when making calzones and it makes 4 pretty large ones. Try it and let me know what you think. Stop by Lindsay's blog as well, she's got some great recipes!

Dough
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Yeast
1 Cup 2 Tablespoons warm water
1 Tablespoon Sugar

Set aside and let grow.

2 Tablespoons Shortening
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
3 Cups flour
Combine, and then add yeast mixture.
Once mixed well, let rise for twenty minutes.

Calzone Ingredients:
meatballs (I put approx. 4-5 meatballs, cut in half, in each one)
marinara sauce
4 slices mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1. Divide your dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece out into a small circle.
2. Put about 1 Tbsp. of marinara sauce on one side of the circle, top with meatballs, a slice of cheese, and 1 more Tbsp. of sauce. Fold over dough and seal edges with prongs of a fork. Repeat with each pizza dough.
3. Lightly brush the tops of the calzones with olive oil and cut a small slit in each one.
4. Lightly dust a pan with corn meal and place the calzones on it.
5. Place in a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. (This is a lighter dough so it won't get too brown)

I also highly recommend Calzone Supreme too, it's my favorite but the kids don't usually go for it. I'll list the "inner ingredients" for any interested.
Calzone Supreme:
marinara
mozzarella cheese
thinly sliced red onion
thinly sliced green bell pepper
sliced black olives
pepperoni
meatballs
mushrooms