If you have a question or comment, please e-mail me at marinscreations@yahoo.com

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ranchero Mexi-Chicken Crostada

I know what you're thinking...Ranchero-What?I found this recipe on Picky Palate and thought the same thing....ranchero-what? Well, I don't know where its name came from but I do know that it is super good. It is so flavorful and even has a spicy kick to it so it's not one that little kids would like. Jon and I on the other hand really enjoyed it. I love recipes that allow me to use up my canned chicken from my food storage.
Ingredients:
1 roll Pillsbury Pie crust, thawed
1 can chunk chicken (from Costco), or about 1 ½ Cups cooked shredded chicken
1 drained can Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies
½ Cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon Ranch dressing seasoning, from packet that makes the dip
1 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of salt and pepper
½ Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll pie crust and place onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
2. Place chicken, tomatoes, cilantro, ranch seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper into a large bowl. With a fork, stir and cut up chicken pieces until well combined. Pour chicken mixture into the center of pie crust and top with cheddar cheese, leaving about 1 ½ inch border around edges. Fold crust up over chicken forming little pleats every 2 inches or so pressing gently. Brush edges with olive oil and sprinkle crust with garlic salt.
3. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown on edges. Let cool for 5 minutes then cut into wedges to serve.
serves 2-3