I have officially found my roll recipe. I have been trying many different dinner roll recipes lately and this is the one. This is going to be our family roll. Let me warn you though, yummy doesn't always mean healthy!
3 cups milk- boil milk for 6 minutes in the microwave on high, then pour in mixing bowl.
Add to the warm milk:
3/4 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
3/4 cups shortening
1 cup potato pearls/flakes
Stir and let sit until cooled, about 4 minutes and the shortening will melt into the mixture
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoon yeast (I LOVE saf instant yeast)
7 cups flour +/- (the dough should pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl)
Let the dough rise for 1 hour, maybe a little longer if you use whole wheat.
1. Once dough has risen, take 1/3 of the dough, roll it out into a rectangle, lightly butter it, then fold in half forming a square. Using a pastry cutter or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 strips.
2. Take a strip of dough, roll it lightly in flour, then tie it in a knot and tuck the sides under. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with all your dough.
4. Let them rise for 1-2 hours, until doubled.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
This makes about 20 enormous rolls. If you would like to yield more rolls, divide your dough into fourths before rolling out and make smaller strips. Adjust cooking time as well, roughly 8-10 minutes.